Medicare ICD-10 coding flexibility ends October 1st
On August 8, 2016, CMS announced the October 1st expiration of its Medicare coding flexibility for ICD-10. Access CMS' updated FAQs to read the full details, beginning with Question 23.
Find a complete listing of the 2016 ICD-10-CM code set on the CMS website.
CMS offers Providers an ICD-10 Next Steps Toolkit
On March 1, 2016, CMS released a new toolkit to help providers with the next steps of ICD-10. The toolkit includes information on how to: assess ICD-10 progress using key performance indicators, address opportunities for improvement and maintain progress. View the toolkit here.
Get Your ICD-10 Coding Questions Answered!
The OMA ICD-10 email hotline is now open! OMA members or their staff may contact the OMA with their specific ICD-10 coding questions and receive responses from a coding professional dedicated to addressing your coding issues.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or click the button below to submit your ICD-10 coding question.
Your Most Common Codes - Translated to ICD-10-CM
Check out CMS' Specialty Guides series located within the RoadTo10 website. There are six medical specialties targeted; Family Practice, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Cardiology, Orthopedics, and Pediatrics. Each guide includes ICD-10-CM codes commonly encountered within the specialty, clinical documentation tips, and clinical scenarios. Download one or all of the concept guides here.
CMS' Road to 10 Resources for Small Physician Practices
This website contains a plethora of resources as well as interactive tools that will create personal action plans for your practice. For example, creating an ICD-10 implementation plan and communicating with more of your vendors are crucial to a successful ICD-10 transition; CMS has created a road map on how to prepare for small, medium and/or large practice transitions, as well as a comprehensive list of questions to ask vendors for you.
In addition to the resources and interactive tools, Road to 10 offers a template library that contains Assessment and Question lists for diagnosis inventory and your vendors (e.g. technology, billing service, clearinghouse, and payer). Learn more.
Learn more about all the website has to offer.
The OMA has comprehensive educational programs that will provide you the opportunity to refresh your ICD-10 knowledge. The OMA webinars are targeted trainings focused on specific specialites. Register for live and on-demand ICD-10 workshops and webinars here.
OMA Member Benefits
ICD-10 coding books from the AMA can help with your implementation and planning. Publications include:
- 2017 ICD-10-CM Codebook
- 2017 ICD-10-CM Mappings
- Advanced Anatomy and Physiology for ICD-10-CM/PCS 2017.
Managing Your Transition to ICD-10 Newsletter
This periodic OMA newsletter provides ICD-10 information including fact sheets, coding case studies, GEMS updates, preparation tips and hands-on exercises to assist in your practice's preparation.
- Issue No. 22 - October 2015
- Issue No. 21 - September 2015
- Issue No. 20 - August 2015
- Issue No. 19- July 2015
- Issue No. 18 - June 2015
- Issue No. 17 - May 2015
- Issue No. 16 - April 16, 2015
ICD-10: Practices - Restart Your Engines!
- Issue No. 15 - March 19, 2015
What’s in Your ICD-10 Tool Box? An Inventory of ICD-10 Coding Support Tools
- Issue No. 14 - January 29, 2015
ICD-10 Preparation: Rethinking Your Strategy
- Issue No. 13 - October 16, 2014
ICD-10 Questions, Myths and Preparedness...Oh My!
- Issue No. 12 - June 23, 2014
Maintiaining Your Training Momentum
- Issue No. 11 - March 26, 2014
Workflows & Support Tools
- Issue No. 10 - February 19, 2014
ICD-10, 9, 8, 7 Months and Counting!
- Issue No. 9 - January 17, 2014
ICD-10 Countdown: Focus on Education
- Issue No. 8 - December 12, 2013
ICD-10 Testing and Documentation
- Issue No. 7 - November 7, 2013
Addressing the Documentation Gap to Support ICD-10-CM
- Issue No. 6 - September 12, 2013
ICD-10 Mapping and GEMS: new updates
- Issue No. 5 - March 20, 2013
Applying our 5010 lessons to ICD-10 preparation
- Issue No. 4 - August 3, 2012
The health care industry has not stopped preparing for ICD-10, have you?
- Issue No. 3 - January 9, 2012
Budgeting for ICD-10
- Issue No. 2 - September 28, 2011
ICD-10-CM: Impact to the Code Assignment Process
- Issue No. 1 - September 8, 2011
Medicine In Oregon Magazine (ICD-10 articles)
- ICD-10-CM and Unspecified Codes
By Carol Wintermute; Winter 2014
- The ICD-10 Deadline is Less than a Year Away. Will You Be Ready?
Ease your transition to ICD-10 with the Help of OMA resources; Fall 2013
- Things You Should Know about ICD-10
By Joy Conklin, interviewing Nancy Fisher; Summer 2013
- The Physicians Role in Better Health Information
By Joseph Nichols; Winter 2013
- New OMA Member Benefit Can Help with ICD-10
By Denny Flint; Spring 2013
- It’s Time to Get Moving on ICD-10
By Stanley Nachimson; Fall 2012
- Is Your Documentation Ready for ICD-10?
By Carol WIntermute; Summer 2011
- ICD-10 Web Page
- AMA Preparation Tool: Assess Your Documentation in Preparation for ICD-10
- AMA Preparation Tool: Determine Your Training Needs for ICD-10
- AMA Preparation Tool: Talk To Your Vendor about ICD-10 Updates
- DMAP GEMS in Oregon Data
- According to DMAP’s website, they expect to begin testing in early 2014. Further, DMAP does not plan to support ICD-9 codes for dates of service after the ICD-10 compliance date, and they plan to closely follow communications from CMS on this. For details, visit www.oregon.gov/oha/healthplan/Pages/providers.aspx and type "ICD-10" in the Search box.
- ICD-10 Team, email contacts: OHAICD10.email@example.com
- ICD-10 Web Page
- FAQs: ICD-10 Transition Basics
- CMS’ Provider Dedicated Resources Web Page
- Introduction to ICD-10: A Guide for Providers (CMS eHealth University)
- ICD-10 Myths & Facts
- ICD-10-CM/PCS: The Next Generation of Coding
- Fact Sheet SE1325: Institutional Services Split Claims Billing Instructions
- MLN Connects Videos
- ICD-10 Coding Basics: Sue Bowman from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) provides a basic introduction to ICD-10 coding, including similarities and differences from ICD-9; ICD-10 code structure; and coding process and examples.
- Log-in to the provider portal to access ICD-10 information within the website.
- Listing of Prior Authorization ICD-10 diagnosis code requirements by Payer. View list: http://www.onehealthport.com/icd10_countdown